Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Q/A with actor and Associate Producer, Bruce Spielbauer

1.) How did you get involved with this project?
A friend of mine – a producer / actress by the name of Cyn Dulay– gave me a head’s up about it, and then she encouraged me to contact the director. I did, and I think I nagged at him and pestered him enough that he finally cast me, just to shut me up. That project evolved, and eventually became this project. That same producer is still attached to this project. And, no, I have not paid her the usual expected kickback funds, yet. The check is in the mail, Cyn. Honest.

2.) How has the experience been working as an actor?
As an actor, I was able to fulfill one of those childhood fantasies – I finally got to tackle a western. I loved prepping the role, and traveling to South Dakota, bonding with cast and crew, and trying to bring my “bartender guy” to life. It satisfied a dream I have had since I was about age seven, and first watched John Ford’s THE SEARCHERS – the film with John Wayne. I wanted to be in a western! And, - I did it. So, my bucket list is down to only one item, I think. Only one item left. What? - What! Whattya’ mean they canceled Bozo?

3.) As an actor what was your approach to your character.
I played Lyle, a bartender. I always begin preparing any role by reading, and re-reading, and re-reading. I picked up on a few clues, here and there. I gradually realized that my role was a man caught in a conflict – his own bigotry and racial hatred versus his need to employ a Chinese man. The guy I played is a coward, and that works perfectly, since so much prejudice is based on fear. Finally, that cowardice also extends to his dealings with the owner of the saloon. I ultimately decided that my “cowardly guy” detests the Chinese, he detests his customers, he detests his boss, and – yeah, he even detests himself, since he knows deep down he is a coward. Self-loathing. I played a guy who hates everyone – the perfect misogynist.

4.) What is it about the story that you think will grab audiences?
The main conflict is a very human one, one that could occur in any setting: A girl’s search for her father, who has suddenly gone missing. Yeah, there is plenty of action, and suspense, and all of the usual elements you expect in any Western – but the story is still a personal one. That is ultimately what is necessary in order for a story to work. This script has it.

5.) Any fond memories from shooting on location?
The friends I made on the trip there, the friends I made in a tiny town called Murdo, South Dakota, and the friends I made on the return trip home. I think my fondest memory will always be of accidentally leaving an actor / stuntman by the name of John Walski behind. On Friday. Sorry, John. And then we somehow did it again, on Saturday. Oops. Three times. And again, on Sunday. At least six or seven times, as I recall. And again, on Monday. And again. And again. Sometimes love is hard, John. Did you ever find your way back home?

Yellow Hill: The Stranger's Tale will have its World Premiere on November 10th. Lubar Auditorium, Milwaukee Art Museum. 6:45pm

No comments:

Post a Comment