Thursday, September 27, 2012

Q/A with Producer Robert L. Parsons II

1.) How did you get involved with this project?
My partner Cyn Dulay worked with Ross Bigley in the past on Petty Cash. Ross and Glenn Popple had approached my partner some time ago about doing the film and she loved the story. So when she told me about the story I wanted to know more about it. Being new to this industry I wanted to produce a film with a story that I really liked and this was it. At the time my partner and I had other projects lined up to do. However when I read this story I absolutely loved it and I thought that THIS would be a fantastic first production for us to work on and most importantly be proud of. So I said lets do to it and by the looks of what we have seen thus far with the rough cut, my thoughts were well placed. With that said. Good job Ross.

2.) How has the experience been working as a producer, writer or actor?
To be perfectly honest it was a huge learning experience for myself as new producer and unexpectedly as an actor. I always love a challenge and where times it was frustrating it was more rewarding. I had a great time and the cast and crew were awesome. I really appreciate the help that I got from Cyn Dulay, Bruce Spielbauer,Gregg Wright, John Walski and to whom I can see as a future career as a director Brian Roloff. You guys were very helpful preparing me for my scene,because I had never acted before what so ever and was nervous as hell lol. It was a lot of help and was a lot of fun and I always say, you have to have some fun with what you are doing or else things will be well just dull and boring. When things are enjoyed they are much more memorable. A big THANK YOU to you guys!

3.) As an actor what was your approach to your character.
The role I played was supposed to be played by talented actor and friend Nathaniel Ross but he had some car trouble trying to make it back to South Dakota. Ross asked if I could do it so I said I'd give it a go. Nervous as hell with the help I got from my fellow cast, I used what they showed me and because everyone says I have a bit of a southern accent I didn't try to hide it. I know this... the line "Beans will do!" will forever be stuck in my head lol. Thanks Ross!

4.) What is it about the story that you think will grab audiences?
I think it will grab the audiences because it is a western story with a topic that you really do not hear about with the Chinese and the gold rush. China and American relations being a hot topic today it's interesting to see one aspect about the history of Americans and the Chinese and how they were treated. Then put that with the heart wrenching decision that a father made in order to survive sets the tone for things to come. You take that and put it with good old western gun slinging cowboy action with good characters and people will love it.

5.) Any fond memories from shooting on location?
Indeed I have a lot, way too many to list I will just say it was a great experience for myself as a producer as well as an unexpected actor. I am very happy to have met such fine group of new people from both Chicago and Milwaukee. They are so much fun and talented it made the whole shoot a joy. The ride there from Chicago was a blast and we had so much fun driving there and back home. Of course we kept forgetting Walski to the point that the night before we left the location he wrote a note on a page from the phone book and stuck it on the van window that read" DON'T FORGET ME!" sighned Walski. I would venture to say that my fondest memory was seeing Cyn Dulay in action acting!

Yellow Hill:The Stranger's Tale will have its World Premiere on Nov 10th. Lubar Auditorium, Milwaukee Art Museum. 6:45pm

No comments:

Post a Comment