Thursday, September 27, 2012

Q/A with actor Theophilus Jamal

1.) How did you get involved with this project?
Producer Cyn Dulay approached me with the idea of being involved with the project as an actor, which I had set aside prior in pursuit of opportunities behind-the-camera. Regardless, I was flattered and willing to return the favor since she had just appeared in my film "Smashed!" (www.smashedfilm.com). I knew very little about the story, only that it was a Chinese western and that it starred Bai Ling. Coincidentally, Bai Ling worked on the movie The Crow with Brandon Lee, son of THE Bruce Lee, and I went to the same college as Brandon. So, I felt we were destined to meet in a weird sort of cyclical way.

2.)As an actor what was your approach to your character.
In Yellow Hill: The Stranger's Tale, I have a small, but important role as The Stranger's father. I like that the character is shrouded in as much mystery as The Stranger herself, and that he had to make a tough decision. He is a complex character placed in rough situation. In preparing for the character, I went to Chicago's Chinatown and found a Chinese coin with writing on it that supposedly translated loosely to "Keep safe our home". I tied the coin to a silk cord and wore it as part of my costume. In terms of the Fu Manchu moustache, I had never worn one in a movie because I thought it was stereotypical and cliche, but at the last minute I had a change of heart. I felt that there was an opportunity to take that stereotype and turn it around, so I asked Jenni, the make-up artist, to clip some of my hair and glue it to my existing facial hair. It looked so cool that I wore it off set until it started peeling off.

Yellow Hill: The Stranger's Tale will have its World Premiere on Saturday, Nov 10th. Lubar Auditorium, MAM. 6:45pm

No comments:

Post a Comment